Want a Natural Way to Accentuate Your Eyes? Learn about Latisse!
- Posted on: Jun 15 2020
Throughout history, the eyes have been accentuated with makeup. More recently, we’ve seen an increase in people interested in doing this without compromising the health and longevity of their natural lashes. Because the eyelashes are part of the eyelids and so close to the eyes, they must be kept free of debris that can invite bacteria around tiny follicles. Like hair on other parts of the body, the eyelashes grow in a cycle. The natural cycle lasts from 6 to 10 weeks. In addition to growing, the eyelashes also fall out. Generally, we lose about five eyelashes a day. In cases where the eyelashes have become unhealthy, more could be lost.
Reasons for extensive eyelash loss include:
- Aggressive eye rubbing.
- Allergic reaction to products used around the eyes.
- Leaving eye makeup on overnight. This dries out the eyelashes and could cause premature fall-out.
- Removal of false eyelashes or eyelash extensions could pull out the natural eyelashes.
- Blepharitis, inflammation, can occur when the oil glands at the base of the lashes get clogged.
Sometimes, a person loses eyelashes because of an underlying medical condition, such as alopecia. Fortunately, most cases of thinning eyelashes can be corrected.
Even if your eyelashes are relatively healthy, you may wish that they were thicker or darker or longer. Many people do. There are several ways that this can be achieved. Which is right for you is a matter of preference. Some people utilize a combination of the following.
- Natural oils. Some data suggests that natural oils like coconut oil can support the eyelashes. The premise of this tip is that natural oils moisturize and soften the eyelashes. This prevents the drying out that can cause eyelashes from falling out before their time. Like makeup, oils must be applied using a clean brush or item like a Q-tip.
- Lash care. Aside from washing makeup off before bed and doing so gently, lash care includes avoiding eyelash extensions. We understand how difficult this can be considering how popular this trend has become in recent years. The problem is that the glue used to adhere false eyelashes may include harmful chemicals, including formaldehyde or latex, that can weaken the natural lashes. Some people react to eyelash glue, resulting in losing eyelashes. If you must try eyelash extensions, talk to your provider about the glue they use.
- Rather than rely on makeup alone or false eyelashes, Latisse is a prescription product that stimulates new eyelash growth. The FDA-approved serum is applied just once a day and, within about 4 weeks, results in improved thickness, darkness, and length. With continued use, many people have achieved such successful improvements that they have stopped wearing mascara altogether. As long as use continues, the eyelashes grow fuller, longer, and more pronounced.
More people are looking for simple, sustainable ways to feel more beautiful. We are happy to provide several options that do not require downtime. For more information regarding Latisse, call (760) 610-8990 to reach our Rancho Mirage office.
Posted in: Latisse®